MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To provide a professional care management service to people with learning disabilities who are the responsibility of the Royal Borough. Based at Kensington Town Hall, working with individuals and their families, with particular focus on people with high support needs.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To match the needs of users against the eligibility criteria for care management services and assess, screen and refer on as appropriate.
- To develop, commission and monitor care provision with service users.
- To collate information for strategic commissioning purposes.
- To participate in the duty service.
- To be familiar with departmental polices and procedures and the wider issues of relevant legislation, including the Mental Health Act 1983, the NHS Community Care Act 1990 and the Disability Discrimination Act 1995.
- To participate in team and service developments.
- To undertake joint visits and assessments as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- To participate in the development of working between joint teams.
- To work in co-operation with a wide range of statutory and voluntary organisations and informal networks within each service user’s community.
- To make use of training and staff development initiatives and where appropriate, contribute to training within the department.
- To contribute to working groups and other special projects as agreed by the team manager .
- To work with individuals with learning disabilities who have challenging behaviours
- To act as a point of reference for borough employees and others seeking information about services for people with learning disabilities.
- To work within the operational polices of the team including referrals, liaison, case records and decision making.
- To attend supervision sessions and keep the line manager informed of current workload and issues of complex contentious nature.
- To participate in training and make constructive use of regular supervision to enhance opportunities for personal development and to improve the quality and standard of services.
- To use and develop new information technology systems including Lotus Notes, MS Office, E-mail and client index systems.
- To carry out the responsibilities of the post at all times with due regard to equal opportunities, departmental and local standards, and the maintenance of confidentiality and service user choice.